Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Post # 1 - About me

My name is Szilvia Rep. I was born in Budapest, in the capital of Hungary and lived there for 27 years. I have 2 brothers and a sister. I grew up with my younger brother and my sister. I have an amazing mother, whom I can thank for everything in my life.
I had a college degree in accounting and I pursued my career for 10 years. I had a good job working for a military sports club as their accountant. I also had some private company to work for on the weekends. I didn't hate what I was doing, I just realized that's not who I am. Things weren't the way how I imagined.  Loss of interest in my field, some family matters and other circumstances made me decide to change my life.
I always loved the English language, I was studying it for about 5 years, but I have never had a chance to really practice it. An opportunity came to my way then.
Someone - my sister knew - offered his help to guide us if we would come to the USA.
My sister had difficulties with life at home back then as well, so she asked me if we could try it together. Come here, first just to experience the country and practice our English and just see how is life in general. We have seen the differences right away.
My country is beautiful and the people are amazing there, but the economic situation is less fortunate.
And it's not going to get better for a while. That's what made us think about taking a chance on a different life.
It was a big and hard decision but we knew that in a long term it will be very fruitful.
After lots of year of hard work and struggle we are able to say we made it somehow.
And here I have to mention the American people. They told us before we get here to be careful and told us Americans are not to be trusted. I have to tell you we didn't have anything to worry about.
Most of the American people were very helpful and pleasant with us. I can't be thankful enough for that!
It took a long time to become legal but we can proudly say we are one step to be American Citizens.
My personal goal for a long time was to get to college as well. Unfortunately, the American system doesn't make things very easy. I was trying to get to school for a long time and it looked it was impossible for some reasons. Finally after many discussion with CUNY advisers I found out my school, where I got my accounting degree from - Budapest Business School - wasn't credited and that caused the problem.
I almost gave up through the years, but I'm finally here and I'm very excited and happy about it!
I'm looking forward on the next 3 years. It's going to be a little hard, I have to give up a certain life style but it worth it.
I heard that somewhere: "It's never too late to be what you might have been".
And I cherish that sentence, especially now.


1 comment:

  1. YOUR FIRST PARAGRAPH IS ON TRACK , HOWEVER IM A LITTLE CONFUSED ABOUT THE 3 PARAGRAPH WHY DONT U TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE A LITTLE BEFORE JUMPING IN TO THE CHARACTER.

    ReplyDelete